All lodges will have history behind them, and ours is no
different. This lodge is the 48th chartered lodge in Oregon,
and conducted its first stated communication under
dispensation, on December 18, 1869, in Marshfield, Oregon.
Andrew Nasburg was the first candidate to receive the first
degree, and later became Worshipful Master of the Lodge, and
in 1887, became Most Worshipful Grand Master of Masons in
June 22, 1870, Brother R.M. Gurney of Laurel Lodge No. 13,
Astoria Oregon, was appointed by Proxy "to proceed to
Marshfield Oregon, and thereby convene Blanco Lodge No. 48,
A.F. & A.M., to hold an election of officers, to constitute,
consecrate the Lodge and install the officers of same Lodge.
This authority given by M.W. Grand Master D.G. Clark.
Due to the slow travel of the time, this was actually
accomplished August 4, 1870.
The initial Lodge Hall was located at Front and A Streets
(now Market and Front Streets). In 1874, it was apparent
that the hall would no longer serve the brotherhood, and a
committee was appointed to solicit funds for the construction
of a new hall. The following year, temporary quarters were
rented at 398 North Front Street.
May 1, 1875, silver jewels and collars were purchased in
San Francisco for the Lodge. In November, a similar set was
purchased for Chadwick Lodge, which had been recommended by
December 7, 1878, Articles of Incorporation were filed
with the State.
Februrary 5, 1892, all members that had paid dues for twenty
years were exempt from further dues. This year also, the
conversion was made from kerosine to electric lights in the
March 1903, North Bend members asked Blanco Lodge to
consent to organize a Lodge in North Bend. Permission was
denied. However the request made again in October had more
favorable results, and permission was granted.
Blanco Lodge reported steady growth through 1920.
January 22, 1927 saw the largest Masonic meeting in
the Coos Bay District with over 700 in attendance. The Grand
Master spoke to the brethren, including Grand officers and
officers from Washington Lodge in Portland. The Portland
Lodge presented Blanco with a sterling silver trowel. The M.M.
degree was conferred in full form with costume and scenery.
On April 17, 1937, a special meeting of Blanco Lodge was
called to confer the M.M. Degree to a member of Lodge No. 42,
in Portland. The Portland Police Team conferred this degree.
This being the second largest meeting in Southwestern Oregon
with over 350 Brethren assembled.
In 1940, the Masonic building on 4th and Central was condemned,
and was moved to 236 South Broadway.
In 1950, the Lodge moved again. This time to the Scottish
Rite Temple located at 491 North Second Street. Plans for a
new Building were being drawn up in 1953. In 1954,
a committee was appointed to look into a new building that
would be adequate to house its members. Property was bought
from York Rite Bodies for such a purpose. Plans were approved
by Grand Lodge, and the building was dedicated on
December 15, 1956. This new building was not without its
ups and downs. At times, it was difficult to get members to
** NOTES ** The above information was summarized and/or taken
from a document titled "1870-1970, Blanco Lodge No. 48, A.F.
& A.M., Coos Bay, Oregon". This document was sanctioned by
the Lodge and created by Clifton O. Washburn, the Lodge Historian,
for the purpose of commemorating the 100 year celebration of